Spring! Texas-Style

Spring! Texas-Style

One thing I learned about always wishing for snow is, if a storm actually visits, you are unprepared. Sunshine bounded into our room Friday morning proclaiming,

There’s stuff in the sky! It’s snowing!

Because I’m Supermom, I rolled over muttering, “No, it isn’t.” She insisted. Of course, little early bird was telling the truth, and seconds later the house jumped with children.

Last week we ran around in sandals; this week we scrambled to find warm coats and hats. We don’t own any mittens, and only one person has snow boots, so the excitement of playing in the evanescent white didn’t last long. However, the moments before my children froze are etched in my mind. Pure joy. Pure excitement. The wonder of childhood.

Share This Gregarious FeedFlare

8 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Michelle
    Mar 09, 2008 @ 22:25:13

How fun for your kids! We moved to CO from CA. Snow was so exciting when we first moved here. Now, we are looking forward to seeing it melt! I’m glad for the changes in seasons. It makes us enjoy the years so much more.

God bless!

2. jenny-up the hill
    Mar 10, 2008 @ 11:09:49

I love it! “There’s stuff in the sky!”….that’s great! lol!! We have had dustings all winter here in East TN…it’s just enough to make a mess. And yes…I love the joy that comes with a snowfall…thanks for the reminder..

3. Dianne
    Mar 10, 2008 @ 18:38:21

Sounds like Colorado! I’m sure you saw this post when you dropped by: http://bunny-trails.blogspot.com/2008/03/colorado-climate.html

70 degrees one day, 30 the next. Crazy stuff.

Thanks for dropping by! :-)

4. Renae
    Mar 11, 2008 @ 10:50:54

Michelle,
    We used to live in Idaho. The snow would get so tiring, but here it is a novelty.

Jenny,
    It seems we only get one dusting of snow per year. Last year, it was right after Easter. What a way to celebrate spring! :)

Dianne,
    Yes, I saw that post. It made me smile. Our problem is we don’t have any snow boots to find. My sister gave us one pair my niece outgrew. They’re usually worn as rain boots. ;)

5. Emily
    Mar 11, 2008 @ 12:41:48

your anti spam thing-y said CHILL. HAHA. How timely is that?

cute pic.

6. Melinda
    Mar 11, 2008 @ 14:47:00

We used to live in CO too, and after the first lingering winter I was OVER the snow. I loved this post though, the way you described the children’s excitement was wonderful!

7. heather
    Mar 11, 2008 @ 21:11:59

You know, up here in Western PA seasons linger a little oger than we would like but otherwise we love all the changes. We still have snow though it keeps coming and going. It is still one of the favorite days of the year when we get the first snow.:)

My kids wear rain boots with extra socks for snow and when all else fails socks make great mittens.

8. Renae
    Mar 11, 2008 @ 22:45:19

Emily,
    I’m glad my spam catcher has such appropriate words. :)

Melinda,
    I understand that. One of my fondest memories from childhood is of the year we were snowed in. My uncle came to dig us out with his plow resulting in a mountain of snow in our driveway. My mom’s memories of that winter are not so pleasant. ;)

Heather,
    Thanks for the tips! I will have to look for rain boots for next year’s spring-time snowfall. I like multi-purpose clothing. :)

E-mail It